Discover » Factsheets
These fact sheets are a basic guide to environmental law in Western Australia. They are for anyone interested in using the law to protect the environment.
Choose from one of the subject areas below to find the fact sheet you need.
The fact sheets relate to WA law unless otherwise stated. For information about other State or Territory environmental legislation, visit the national EDO website.
Important: These fact sheets provide a summary of the law and are not intended to be comprehensive or to cover the specifics of any given situation. While every effort has been made to ensure the content is as accurate as possible, the EDO does not accept any responsibility for any loss or disadvantage resulting from reliance or use of this work. Readers are advised to seek professional legal advice in relation to specific legal questions.
The currency date for each factsheet is shown in the heading of each factsheet. It is possible that the law may have changed since this date.
Introduction to environmental law
- 1.Overview of environmental law in Western Australia.
- 2.Common law: nuisance, negligence and trespass
Planning and development controls
- 3.Planning law
- 3A.Telecommunications facilities
- 4.Development controls
- 5.Environmental impact assessment in Western Australia
- 6.Commonwealth environmental impact assessment
Biodiversity, heritage and public lands
- 7.Clearing native vegetation
- 8.Biodiversity conservation and control of introduced species in Western Australia
- 9.Biodiversity conservation under Commonwealth law
- 10.State forests and timber reserves
- 11.Conservation reserves
- 12.Crown land management
- 13.Protecting heritage
- 14.Conservation covenants
- 16.Genetically modified organisms
Coastal and marine areas
- 17.Marine Reserves
- 19a.Fishing - recreational
- 19b.Fishing - commercial
- 20.Marine pollution
Water, rivers and wetlands
Atmosphere and air
Pollution and waste management
- 27.Pollution and environmental harm
- 28.Pesticides and Other Agricultural Chemicals
- 29.Industrial chemicals
- 30.Contaminated sites
- 31.Waste management